A new app called artographo was released today. From the developer:
It’s time for the next generation of color splash and artistic photo effects. Give your photographs an extraordinary flair and turn them into beautiful artographs.
The elegant and intuitive interface allows you to touch up and recreate your pictures in an amazingly fast and precise way. Use your finger as a brush and paint in different styles, colors and effects.
- Paint in three different styles: Cartoon, Watercolor and Photography
- Over 30 effects (including: Sepia, Grayscale, Cross Process, Retro Cam …)
- 21 additional tint effects, 7 for every style (available in-app)
- Easy canvas navigation using two finger pan & pinch to zoom gestures
- 4 different brushes: Paintbrush, Spray, Marker and Eraser
- Unlimited undo and redo brush strokes
- Import from Camera & Photo Albums
- Twitter, Facebook, Flickr and Email sharing
I found the app to be very polished for the initial version. You are initially presented with several help screens that lay out the basics, and then you can begin playing. The output resolution of the images is up to 5 megapixels on the iPhone 4.
A few improvements I can think of for the next version include: showing the size of the brush as you are painting, a mask view when painting, adjust the watercolor drop size, and the ability to adjust the line thickness/level of the outlines. The latter would be my favorite new addition to the app (or maybe make some style options such as heavy outline and light outline).
artographo currently has an initial price of $0.99 [download]
If you like to create artistic images like these, you should definitely grab a copy of the well made app. It feels a bit like MobileMonet on steroids. There is an in-app purchase for additional canvas and paint effects (a total of seven), but the App Store has been so flaky today that I’ll wait until tomorrow to buy those.