Apple announced the new iPad (aka iPad 3) earlier today. It took me almost three hours before I got mine ordered. Let’s just say the Apple Store had a tough afternoon.
There were a number of things that stood out for photographers. The most interesting item (in my opinion) is that Apple released iPhoto for iOS, a Universal app that runs on both your iPhone and iPad. They also released an update for iOS (5.1) that lets you easily get to your iPhone camera from the lock screen and delete photos from your photo stream. And for those that get the new iPad, it will have a 5MP camera so your photos won’t look like a digital camera from 1999.
I downloaded iPhoto on my iPad 2 and was really impressed. The screenshot above shows the help balloons that you can turn on if you click on the question mark at the top. If you want more info about anything you can just click on it.
There will be dozens of reviews about this coming out soon, and I’m sure a lot of iBooks about how to use this new app, so I won’t go in to a lot of detail, but here are a few things I already love about this app (and I’ve only used it for about 20 minutes) These are in no particular order.
- Beaming photos is great (although the update bar never seems to get updated).
- Selecting multiple pictures is a great feature that lets you easily compare similar photos.
- The “select similar photos” is interesting to say the least, but it seems a bit hit/miss. I’ve noticed that the same shot at different exposures never seems to match.
- They say it can handle up to 19MP images! I’ve only tried up to 8MP.
- It feels very fast on my iPhone 4S and iPad 2.
- Editing tools are really impressive – edge detection for brushes, copy/paste settings, etc.
There are still a few things that are confusing me, but I’ll learn as I play. 🙂
And the full description. Wow.
With iPhoto for iOS, Apple brings Multi-Touch to photography in a breakthrough way. Browse, edit, and share your photos from your iPad or iPhone, like never before – all the powerful tools you need are at your fingertips. And with iCloud, you can share your experiences as stunning photo journals.
Use simple gestures to quickly sort through photos and find your best shots. A powerful set of Multi-Touch tools helps you perfect color and exposure, crop, straighten, and retouch images. Enhance pictures by adding beautiful, Apple-designed effects with just a tap. Or use fingertip brushes to apply adjustments exactly where you want them. In addition to posting photos to Facebook, Flickr, and Twitter, you can beam photos between your iPhone and iPad, stream photos and slideshows to your Apple TV with AirPlay, and use iCloud to publish photo journals to the web to share your stories with friends and family in a whole new way.
• Use simple gestures to quickly sort through dozens or even hundreds of photos
• Automatically find similar photos, so you can quickly make comparisons
• View multiple photos side-by-side to help you choose your best images
• Tap to mark any photo with a flag, select a favorite, or hide an image
• Resize and reposition scrollable thumbnail grid for optimal browsing in any orientation
• Simply touch and drag on the parts of the image you want to change
• Touch and drag on the image to adjust blue skies, greenery, and skin tones
• Drag the white balance loupe to make precise color corrections
• All image adjustments are completely non-destructive and can be modified at any time
• Straighten your pictures with a tap using automatic horizon detection
• Use your fingertip to paint photo adjustments right where you need them
• Turn on edge detection to help you apply adjustments with even more precision
• Lighten, darken, and change saturation or sharpness selectively
• Paint out spots and blemishes with a powerful Repair brush
• Brush away red-eye, or use the Soften brush to minimize wrinkles
• Enhance your photos with dozens of beautiful, Apple-designed effects
• Touch and drag to add drama to landscapes with a selection of graduated filters
• Create a perfectly toned black-and-white photo by simply dragging your finger
• Pinch and zoom a vignette or tilt-shift filter to focus on a key part of the photo
• Apply artistic effects to transform your photos into brilliant watercolors
• Share your stories in a whole new way as beautiful photo journals
• iPhoto automatically flows your pictures into a great-looking layout that’s fun to personalize
• Freely move and resize photos with a touch of your finger
• Touch and drag to add captions, maps, dates, and even the weather
• Publish your photo journals to iCloud as stunning web pages to share
Other great iPhoto features
• iPhoto is a universal app, optimized for both iPhone and iPad
• Create cinematic slideshows of your photos with a few taps
• Post directly to Facebook or Flickr and view friends’ comments on your photos
• Beam photos between your iPhone and iPad, including all non-destructive adjustments
• Use AirPlay to stream photos and slideshows to your HDTV over Wi-Fi with Apple TV
• Print your photos wirelessly on an AirPrint-enabled printer
Some features require an iCloud account and/or compatible internet access.
AirPrint requires an AirPrint-compatible wireless printer.
AirPlay is compatible with the second-generation Apple TV or later.