'Church' using Noir Photo
A recent app to enter the B&W world is Noir Photo. It has an interesting UI and you can easily create some interesting shots by adjusting overall brightness, spotlight shape/size/brightness, overall contrast, and tint.
For the next version I’d love to have the option to toggle the controls on/off so that you could get a larger view of the image that you are working on. When the controls are minimized you could zoom in/out on the image. Having the option for multiple spotlights and additional tint control would also be nice.
LifeInLofi has a full review.
This is currently available from iTunes for $2.99. Definitely worth it. Here are a few sample shots I created. Even some hooks on my bathroom wall look decent. Click on the shots to view them on Flickr.
Description from iTunes:
Don’t just take a photo. Tell a story. Noir Photo lets you transform your photos with beautiful, dramatic lighting and instant results. Peel away the color to a cinematic black-and-white, apply a lovely tint, and then light up your subject. Touch and pinch the brightness Vignette and spin the Contrast and Exposure dials for white hot thrills and shadow-rich drama.
You tell a story in your photos with the glowing smile on your daughter’s face, or a moody skyline under radiant street lamps. Focus on the part that you love, massage your Noir Photo settings, and come up with something amazingly cool in a few seconds. Use Noir Photo to create bad-ass black, white & light in a color world.
The Artsy Details
• Simple & fast formula: Noir Photo is a fun and easy way to create images that tell a story — with instant, beautiful results.
• Strip to cinematic black & white: Use Noir Photo to replace the color in your photo with a rich, cinematic black-and-white.
• Re-light the photo: A touchable, customizable Vignette lets you re-light the photo to show what’s important and shade out the rest.
• Tint the mood: Apply a sepia, silver, blue-gray or chartreuse tint to further set the mood. Choose from six presets to get started quickly.
• For your inner artist: Battle tested by artists, filmmakers and the geek dad next door, Noir Photo gets your creative ideas out fast.
Fast & Fun Controls
• Designed for play: Noir Photo’s fun dials and buttons look like analog spaceship dials, hi-fi fader controls and vintage stereo knobs.
• Vignette at your fingertips: Touch and pinch the Vignette to quickly highlight and light up the part of your photo that you care about. It’s fun and easy.
• Dial in high contrast: Use Contrast, Outer Exposure and Inner Exposure dials to massage the darks and lights around the Vignette.
• Stay in one place: Noir Photo’s preview area is huge and the controls are minimal so you play fast and never have to open a second panel.
• Works with every photo: Even if you are using low quality images, our specially-built controls protect important details and fight digital artifacts.
The Geeky Details
• Universal app: Your purchase enables iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch devices. Supports iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, Gen 3 and Gen 4 iPod Touch, iPad, and iOS 4.2 and higher.
• iPhone 4 resolution: Render has been developed to support 4 Megapixel output on iPhone 4. Support for high resolution 2592×2592 maximum output.
• iPad resolution: Render has been developed to support 4 Megapixel output on iPad. Support for high resolution 2048×2048 maximum output.