Every now and then I enjoy taking a photo and playing with it to create something abstracty (not a word, but I’ll stick with it). In this particular case I started with the picture of an umbrella, and ended up with something that looks like a mix of blood, arteries, and veins – and maybe it could even be found on an album cover of a local band.
I’ll walk you through this one from start to finish. Feel free to click on any image to get a larger view.
1) While sitting outside during happy hour I enjoyed the sun coming through the umbrella of the table so took a shot with the basic Camera app.
2) I then used Tiny Planet Planet Photos to warp the umbrella. I have the full resolution in-app purchase, so I was able to save the image at the maximum 2000×2000 pixels.
3) I then opened that image in Camera+ just to flip it and brighten it using a scene selection (might have been cloudy or auto, not positive about this).
4) I took that image into PhotoToaster. I really enjoy a few of the quick and easy presets in that app. I used the Color Burst preset so that the center kept its color. I ended up with this image.
5) Using the image above, I made use of Percolator to create this image.
6) With one of my favorite apps for creating abstracty (there goes that word again) images, I took the image from PhotoToaster and used ToonPaint.
7) I now have a few shots that I want to blend. I enjoy Image Blender since it does just that and nothing more. I first blended the PhotoToaster and ToonPaint images (I think I used Overlay) to get this one.
8 ) I took that image and then blended it with the one I created in Percolator, but I wanted to offset the “blobs” from the main image to get a corpuscular look. The Percolator image was the upper layer in Image Blender, so I double tapped it. I could now drag, rotate, and expand that upper layer. I expanded it a bit so the blobs all got pushed outward. I used Darken for the blend mode.
9) I’m getting really close now, but I wanted to make a few changes to the frame which had gotten put on in the PhotoToaster step (in retrospect I probably should have excluded the frame at that point). You can see in the image above that there were excess blobs around the edge since I’d expanded the Percolator layer.
I opened the image in PhotoFactory and used the Frame feature to cover the outer edge with white just until I covered the blobs plus the black border. I now have just a big white border around the image. I could have just done a crop in another program, but in PhotoFactory it is easy to know you won’t be offset with a crop.
10) We are almost there! I opened the shot in Camera+ and used the Auto scene and the Vibrant filter. Using the latest Camera+ I added the Light Grit filter and tried out the new caption option with the word Circulation on it.
I really like it!
There are quite a few apps that could be used for various steps in this process, but ToonPaint, Percolator, and Tiny Planet Photos are all rather unique and were key elements. Image Blender and Camera+ are also two that I personally can’t live without (even though there are alternative apps).
If you want to use it for your album cover, just let me know 🙂