I recently posted a shot over on Flickr (Tiny Jesus 1) that used several apps to create something interesting (at least in my own private world). I’ll walk you through that process for anyone that may be interested.
The first thing is that I was taking a few shots for possible use with the Tiny Planet Photos App. One thing that helps to get interesting shots with that app is to have matches on the left and right side of the image. When the spherical filter is applied in the app the even edges allow for a smooth connection in the image.
Here was the original shot I took (using Pro HDR).
I trimmed the image a bit so that when using Tiny Planet the cross would not get chopped off on the top.
I used Photogene to tweak the levels a bit. Then, since there was a chuck of wire in the image near the cross (click on image above to see it clearly), I used TouchRetouch to remove the distraction (TouchRetouch is a rather amazing app!). The touched up image is shown below.
You can see that the left and right sides of the image are lined up. I then put the image through Tiny Planet and got this output.
At this point I wanted to increase the “space” above the cross, since I didn’t want that to be directly next to the edge of the image. I used one of the MANY transformations in PhotoFactory to increase the image size. That feature begins to mirror the image on every side. This image shows the control for that feature, and the other image shows the output from PhotoFactory.
I used TouchRetouch once again to get rid of the extra cross at the top.
Then I cropped the image a bit on the left/bottom to center the church with Photogene.
At this point I used ToonPaint to create a new black & white version of the image. In ToonPaint I use the Size controls with settings of L, S, and S for the three parameters. I then tweaked the Shading a bit to create this image.
At this point I fired up Image Blender (another superb app). I placed the colored image on the bottom and the B&W on the top and selected Luminosity for ink. I then tweaked the slider until I was happy with the image.
And finally, I pulled the image into Camera+ and selected the frame option, and applied an effect that I liked (I actually saved multiple versions using different effects since I liked a few of them). And after all those apps I ended up with the image I put on Flickr.
Fun! I also did a version where I used PictureShow to apply some noise and filter. That one is also on Flickr.
You can do a lot with a single app, but often a few are needed to get the shot you really want. Now…if only I had a bit more artistic talent. At least I’m having fun 🙂